A compact circular saw is a useful tool for many of the best DIY projects. Also known as a mini circular saw, these increasingly popular power tools are most well known for their versatility.
Thanks to their small size and lightweight (the best models under 2 pounds) they’re one of your best options for working in tight quarters. Out of all of the brands that manufacture compact circular saws, two of the very best in the business are Dremel and Rockwell.
Today, we’re going to see how the Dremel Ultra Saw versus the Rockwell Versacut compare to each other.
Bite-size Guide: Compact Circular Saw
A compact circular saw is an essential power tool for those working in tight quarters. Here’s our brief guide to compact circular saws to help ensure you buy the best model for your needs and preferences.
What Is a Compact Circular Saw?
Although the blade works much the same, the actual design of a mini circular saw compared to a regular circular saw is much different. The mini version takes a body similar to that of an angle grinder and puts a small version of a circular saw’s blade on the end. This contributes to the overall ease of use and versatility of a compact circular saw, especially in tight quarters.
Why Buy a Compact Circular Saw?
There are a lot of reasons to add a compact circular saw to your DIY tool kit. Chief among them are:
- Ease of Use – The small size and light weight of this tool makes it very easy for almost anyone to use.
- Versatility – Compact circular saws have dozens of uses. They can be used almost anywhere, and can even be customized to your preferences.
- Power – They might be small, but many of these tools have incredibly powerful motors for their size.
Despite these many benefits, there is one main disadvantage to compact circular saws:
- Not as Powerful – These miniature tools are not as powerful as normal circular saws. They can’t cut through all of the same materials.
Remember to be realistic when it comes to buying a compact circular saw. Sure, they’re not as powerful as a full-size circular saw, but you can’t really expect them to be at less than half the size.
It’s essential to realize that a compact circular saw is not a replacement for a regular circular saw. It’s simply a similar tool with very different applications.
Most Important Factors to Consider
Here are a few of the most important things to keep in mind if you want to buy a compact circular saw:
- Motor – A more powerful motor can help you cut through tougher materials, but it also makes the tool more difficult to use.
- Ease of Use – A less powerful tool is typically easier to handle, especially for beginners and novices.
- Handle/Grip – A model with a comfortable and ergonomic handle pays off big time in the long run.
- Power Source – Most models (including the two reviewed below) use power cords. Although cordless, battery-powered models are available.
- Durability – When you invest a lot of money in a power tool, you want to make sure it’s built well enough to last for years, even with heavy use.
Keep these factors/features in mind as you check out our Dremel Ultra Saw versus Rockwell Versacut side-by-side comparison below.
Compact Circular Saw Showdown
|Dremel Ultra Saw||CLICK HERE TO BUY|
|Rockwell Versacut||CLICK HERE TO BUY|